Raspberry pi 3B+ or 4 for HG?

Is anyone using pi 4 yet with HG? I am considering moving up from my Zero W and see the pi 4 with 1GB ram is same price as the 3B+ and lots faster per comparisons like:

Unless someone says HG won’t work with pi 4, I will get one of them.

HG will work with all RPI boards depending on the OS and HG version you use.

As you are using HG 1.3 v19 Stable the RPI3b+ is more than capable of running HG smoothly and consistently.

The RPI4 is still in a state of maturity firmware wise so if you are willing to stay with its development progress you could opt for it to run HG. Bear in mind you will need a complete new kit as connectors, power supply requirements have changed somewhat.

My recommendation still stands.

1. Raspberry Pi3b+
  2. A new genuine and properly formatted SD card 16gb or greater
  3. A correctly downloaded and extracted Raspberry OS zip file
  4. Reliable SD card reader/writer to burn the extracted image to the SD card.
  5. Follow my installation instructions I posted previously
  6. A reliable and consistent broadband connection. You will find your server depends on this.
  7. A properly configured LAN that will cause no conflict with the HG server. A dropping of LAN connection between HG server and client during read/write operations will cause havoc with your HG server and undoubtedly crash it.

If there’s any logs that can be extracted prior to the crash post them for members to see.

I still run HG from ZeroW boards with no issue.
I did use a pi 3b+ but started to have strange issues with it shutting down. I suspect the power supply was the issue.
I realy threw a lot at the 3B+ and had it multi tasking using the desktop versuon of stretch as well as running HG + HA-Bridge for a year before things went south.
I do know SD class cards makes a difference as does the size when it comes to running anything on a pi, stick to a class 6 or better and 8 Gigabyte or better. I use 32 Gigabyte class 10 cards.

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if having loaded the desktop version of buster on the little ZW is overburdening it.

I thought I used a 1.5amp wallwart but will double check that too.

My SD card is namebrand 32gb type 10; have not experimented with Petes card tester as it is only for linux best I could tell.

As recommended I had logs turned off as I felt I was past issues, so no logs of the crash available.

I purchased a pi 4 2gb for $35 to try.

Yes running the desktop version is tasking on a zerow running additional servers like HG & HA-Bridge that may also have been why I lost info in my early days of playing with HG. I only run the lite versions of Buster on my zeroW boards.

So desktop version should prob be OK on a pi4. I plan to use my final 32gb img that is working on the zeroW now and try it on the pi4. If it works, I will retire the zeroW’s, or perhaps download a new buster no desktop and try it again as a backup.

Im not sure the zerow card will work in the 4.previos versions werent interchangeable.I remember reading that the 4 was capable of using SD cards from othe pi boards ising buster but @Petediscrete would know for sure.

I’ll repost this again. I’ll also stress that if you LAN is in anyway below par you are going to suffer from performance issues. It’s strongly recommended that you connect your RPI HG server to your router via Ethernet if you are experiencing difficulties. Remember you gain maximum bandwidth with a wired connection with no RF interference.

If you want to maximise your setup on a new RPI, start with a fresh SD card freshly formatted with the latest RaspberryOS installed on it.

HG will work with all RPI boards depending on the OS and HG version you use.

As you are using HG 1.3 v19 Stable the RPI3b+ is more than capable of running HG smoothly and consistently.

The RPI4 is still in a state of maturity firmware wise so if you are willing to stay with its development progress you could opt for it to run HG. Bear in mind you will need a complete new kit as connectors, power supply requirements have changed somewhat.

My recommendation still stands.

1. Raspberry Pi3b+
  2. A new genuine and properly formatted SD card 16gb or greater
  3. A correctly downloaded and extracted Raspberry OS zip file
  4. Reliable SD card reader/writer to burn the extracted image to the SD card.
  5. Follow my installation instructions I posted previously
  6. A reliable and consistent broadband connection. You will find your server depends on this.
  7. A properly configured LAN that will cause no conflict with the HG server. A dropping of LAN connection between HG server and client during read/write operations will cause havoc with your HG server and undoubtedly crash it.

If there’s any logs that can be extracted prior to the crash post them for members to see.

If you have random reboots then you are likely overburdening the system resources, have something running that’s not stable, or the PSU is not capable. I have experienced at least 2 of these with my RPi3.

My recommendation depends on what you are starting off with. If you have no hardware you are upgrading from, I would opt for the RPi4B. The memory is up to you and depends on what you intend on doing with it. If you just want HG and some other HA type apps, 1-2GB is more than enough. If you are using it for a streaming server then you probably would want more. If you are really pushing it, 8GB might be your best option. HG is not that demanding so I would save money and just get the lower end one.

If you have an existing RPi1, RPi2, RPiZW, you will get a nice boost going to the RPi3. The case will be different from different revs. If you have a really good PSU already, you should be able to reuse it which is not the case for the RPi4. Power is very important and what worked on 1st gen hardware may crash with the RPi3.

The RPi3B and lower end RPi4B are nearly the same price, so it’s really a toss up.

My rp4+ 2gb replacement for zw runs HG fine. I did not have a new 3amp recommened PS to start so for the first couple weeks I used a simple 1.5amp one and it worked just fine.

Then that pretty much proves you were asking too much of the low powered RPiZW. It’s not meant for power. That HW is designed for its small form factor to be included in small spaces for simple tasks. I would personally compare it to an Arduino with a built-in Linux OS. It can do a lot more than an Arduino, but I wouldn’t push it like it’s a full fledged PC. And from what I’ve read, you seem to be asking a lot of it.

Not sure how using a 1.5a PS that worked fine on pi4 proves I was overloading it or the zw?

Also not sure how using nothing but HG on my zw was over pushing it?

I am pretty familiar with arduino BTW; I have a unique design we sell to all the big aerospace companies all over the world that emulates geared position resolvers that no one else has ever done. Pi I am pretty dumb on, but I can get around the arduino units.

The overload was on your processor, not your power requirements. This was never factored in when using a Pi Zero on more than single server operation .

A Pi Zero could operate idle comfortably on 0.5ah with no power sucking peripherals attached. As soon as hubs, monitors, mice and keyboards are attached that’s when you experience the spikes and the reboots. That coupled with suspect SD cards is a receipt for failure and never ends well.

You have all the tools at your hands in the form of a simple dmesg command which will highlight an over voltage condition.

The RPI boards are primarily designed for educational purposes for kids mostly and the layout and the primary programming language Scratch reflect this.

Like an old car you may get away with flooring the throttle but eventually the pistons will crash through the block.

You can heed sound advice or choose your own course of action. That’s your prerogative. The act of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome, that’s for another day.