Swimming Pool Controller Project

After a long break doing HG & RPi projects, as my HG systems at home have been working flawlessly for the last couple of years, I decided to replace my broken swimming pool controller with a home made HG solution. It was fun to do designing, building and programming again

I build a split system, with all the high voltage stuff in one box and all the low voltage stuff in another box. The two are electrical separated by optical isolated relays.

It is still a work in progress. The low voltage side will get a second board with 6 relays, and a 8 channel AD converter for analog sensors. hence that big bundle of wires sitting there patiently waiting for the additional hardware to arrive.

Behind the RPi are the 5, 12 and 24 volt power supplies.

I use 1wire temperature sensors for the various temperature measurements which drive the solar heater.

First picture is the high voltage part of the controller I build, controlling pool pump, spa blower etc.

Second picture is the RPi controller with relay board etc, controlling the water valves, temperature sensors and the high voltage relays.

Third picture is a screenshot of one of my HG control screens.

Very impressive indeed.

Had you considered using some of the more regularly maintained home automation systems like Home Assistant for this project or do you find HG meets all your needs.

The ability to create what ever functionality you need using the build-in web based compiler, and being able to test your changes/additions on the fly remains the strongest point of HG. I played with others, but HG is just better at this. So in my opinion, if you are comfortable with C# , HG is still the most flexible to your needs.

It’s a bit of a shame that HG is not well maintained as the potential is very high. I’ve been using it for many years, and am still very happy with it. I do use HG exclusively on RPi. The only time I have some issues is when a micro SD card starts to go bad, but that is an easy fix, I always have 2 SD cards ready programmed ready to go for when this happens.

I have considered starting my own fork of HG, so I have control over the software and some protection for this project being completely abandoned. I have all the source code from github on my HDD, just missing the Android app code.

Yes I agree it’s a powerful tool as far as home automation is concerned. Unfortunately a number of others have also attempted to fork the project but have abandoned further development for one reason or another. The danger is that the further new development falls behind the competition the less likely new users are to adopt it.

It would be great to see someone seriously develop HG further and maybe with a bit more input from other interested parties HG could be taken on to a more vibrant platform. Your current project is one classic example of this. Here’s hoping you get the time to achieve this.