Module Names disappearing again?

Found that out. Getting close to try try making a USB or use my 16GB SSD drive sitting around here. Found bunch of how to’s on youtube. Seems we can expect upto 2x faster performance ald less worry of killing SD card from too many writes. Working around watching for our Pres. speech where he may be giving the code to patriots that it is game on by saying “MY FELLOW AMERICANS, THE STORM IS UPON US…”

the SSD drive will be the best option using the USB 3 seems most Raspi Boards are bootable/runable from a USB stick. Maybe the last couple buster updates changed that.
I was sure that only the 3b+ and up were capable but I may have missread as they are able by default the others need boot_mode enabled using this command

echo program_usb_boot_mode=1 | sudo tee -a /boot/config.txt

while others require a bootcode.bin file added to a SD card which forces the pi to boot from a USB.
It will be interesting to see if this helps with your issue as you seem to reproduce it reguarly on any pi.

Yes, latet pi fw allows usb/ssd boot - after june 2020. So I have successfully updated my pi4 to july xx,2020 fw (one write up says it must be >sept 2020 but I ignored that lone one). I am ready. But it is a pain to get to the desktop where I have my pi and no monitor/keyboard, so I sidetracked: I installed my teamviewer on it. But it is not accepting my user/pw yet so will need one last time to crawl up the ladder with a keyboard/monitor to set up teamviewer so I can access my pi desktop from anywhere. Delays delays, always delays!

I’m not sure what y’all are trying to accomplish anymore. I thought the issue was related to security modules disappearing. I pointed out the reason (a bug/design choice) in Gene’s code. Perhaps someone could explain how changing the boot device fixes a program issue?

Not boot device persay, but what HG is running on.
I don’t recall reports of this on a Windows PC though I may be wrong
I’ve not lost security modules running HG on a Linux PC yet.Over a year and a half running with power blips(improper shutdowns)
I have lost their names on a raspi Zero W using a SD card and (improper shutdowns)
I never lost them on my raspi 3b+ while it was in operation running without a SD Card. Mind that wasn’t for very long (8/9 months). It did have some improper shutdowns though not many as it was running on solar power.
So I was wondering if the program issue is with the way a PI handles the code and maybe the read writes of a SD card.

bkenobi, what we are trying to accomplish is see why security modules lose their names - more just for interest than anything else. I understand there is a code design that lends itself to this happening, but imperical data seems to be showing WHEN it happens is dependent on the type of pi & type of pi boot method used. So imperically, so far it seems that the HG code that lends itself to security module name erasure is triggered by pi crash and depends on the type of card & boot used. Cool things to play with and learn!

This is very cool! Since I mistakenly imaged the full desktop version of buster on my SD card last time, I was able to make use of it to really simply copy my SD card to USB SSD drive in 1 step! WOW! Double wow!

I think SSH network access is different than desktop network access. In my putty sessions, I can ping google, etc from the pi4B. I wanted to install teamviewer for Pi so I could remote into it without having to hook up monitor, keyboard, and mouse: well I could download and install teamview .deb but it would not connect. I think it relies on the desktop… So off to raspi-config, turn on desktop, and it make me enter new pi password, acted like I had no wifi so had to re-enter all that, pick country. As soon as I did this, teamviewer connected.

So now I can sit at any of my computers and teamview into the pi desktop! Sweet!

It let me then just plug in my old 16GB SSD HD, pick copy SD card (32gb BTW) to 16GB SSD in utilities menu, and BAM! Shut down, pull SD card, repower, and I am running on my old SSD card!

Since it is not a USB3 SSD card, it does not appear I have gained much speed improvement - maybe 25% is all. But I now have easy access to the pi desktop! HG seems a tad snappier.

Since loosing security module names seemed function of improper shut down, I probably cannot test if it will be better with the SSD drive since a week ago I moved the power for the Pi to the UPS nearby used for some cameras.

This experiment also made it clear that if someone hacked my network they could get right into HG; so I just PW protected HG today. Needless to say I will not be leaving HG open in a browser window on the Pi.

I noticed a small performace increase as well using a USB stick on my 3b+.(no USB3)

I guess you could always just pull the power plug on your pi to see if you lost security names. However if I remember this didn’t always work.

I’m not going to stand in your way of ignoring the facts.