Module Names disappearing again?

I certainly did research my error (not a warning as your link pointed to). My error would not let gdebi even install. My research did not find any solution so I just went to the ext folder where the offending file was located and edited/deleted all content inside it (I could not get permission to delete the file itself with my chown command). Then reran the install command and it worked.

BTW, this is now the 3rd new SD card I have made with buster these last couple weeks. ALL 3 of course work, but all three insist there is a HG update available:

Which is indeed what I am already running. Just an FYI in case others see that also.

PS: I tried the findall command but it does not work:

Did you read the solution from the link I posted.

Solution in answer 1. You’re trying to run a warning/error message using sudo. Makes no sense. You’ll actually do more damage to your install entering random commands like that.

Answer was

sudo sed -i ‘s|"[[.]"|"[\(/\S+[\])]"|’ /usr/share/gdebi/gdebi
sudo sed -i 's|"[[.
]"|"[\(/\S+[\])]"|’ /usr/share/gdebi/GDebi/GDebiCli.py

yes

I copied and pasted your findall line and it did not work so I tried it with sudo in case it needed more permissions. Neither worked.

Since my error preventing installation of gdebi was line 1 in some log file, deleting that line in the file solved my issue.

Findall=c was the output from the warning message not a command to run. I thought that was obvious from the link I sent you. Sudo sed was the solution. Sed is a stream editor that allowed you to edit the relevant file on the fly. Running that command resolved your issue. Randomly removing lines is not recommended unless you know what the implications are.

As was advised in the link I included you probably ran a command with an incorrect syntax which executed but didn’t execute correctly or executed partially.

Pete, what is the difference on pi 3/4 to turn on wifi vs. my old zero w boards? On them I just had to copy ssh & filled in wpa_supplicant.conf over to the boot section of the SD and it worked. pi4 here not so.

At first it said no wifi due to rfkill turned on, so I found how to turn it off (sudo rfkill unblock wifi) and that error message no longer shows on boot in SSH session, but still no wifi.

I’ve tried a few times to set wifi in raspi-config but again no wifi. Works fine over wired connection.

I did mention it is best to set WiFi up locally using sudo raspi-config. It’s just too much trouble dropping pre configured wpa supplicant files into the boot folder of the SD card.

So maybe I needed to step away for a while… back now and wifi is working. sheesh.

A little tip for you…Configure your system in small steps. When something works for you take note of it so you can refer to it again if needed.

Do as I did. Write down a list of basic installation instructions for yourself. Tick each one off when it works and you have validated it. Backup along the way.Request assistance when it’s needed and not when you run out of ideas.You’ll only create more problems than you solve if you don’t. Once you have a working system configured backup again. It’s a reference point to restore and avoids having to repeat the above steps every time.

Finally try leaving your efforts on a successful note instead of ploughing on to the point of failure. Remember the point of failure is probably the same as the point of tiredness. The last piece of advice is to avoid doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome, It might work in life but doesn’t work in computing.

Just a little note about the original topic of module names disappearing: I can now confirm it is not a function of a low power pi (zero w)! It has happened again with this hi power pi 4! Security module names have disappeared and not come back (they normally would sometimes, not always, disappear on a reboot) now for many days. Normal x10 module names stayed, as well as email program data. Openweather program kept its data too but does not work with pi4 at this time as HG keeps reporting a sys error every 30 seconds or so:

UPDATE: OpenWeather issue seems to be wifi cannot get out to the internet; I will add more info into dhcpcd.conf to try to fix that… that fixed it.

With a restore of previously saved HG backup, I have my security module names back. So all seems working again with the pi4 now which indeed does respond 10-20x faster than the zero in all actions.

That’s good to hear. If your WIFI is in anyway flaky you’ll always experience strange behaviour with HG. Always best with a wired connection where possible.

Put it this way, if the widget opens and doesn’t see its corresponding Configuration data quick enough it will probably show up as undefined or widget names missing.

Sometimes a complete reboot will solve the issue. Also if you notice this happen again go straight to Configure>Group select the group with the offending widgets and try triggering them one by one. Return to Home and select Home and try displaying that group again. That works sometimes too.

Finally experiment with different browsers. You’d be amazed at the difference in behaviour in certain browsers. It really does pay to have a clean strong connection between client and server on your LAN.

Above all you now have a solid backup which saves so much heartache.

Stay in touch and let us know how you get on.

I don’t remember the exact location in code, but Gene wrote the code for security sensors so that it will purge the list under certain scenarios and then propagate with a list he created at some point. I don’t use security modules but ran across this when fixing the GPIO on RPi. At this point, I personally think the security modules are going to get deleted at some point in your system unless you understand what’s causing them to delete and don’t do that.

Even with rp4+ security module names still disappear just like they did with zw pi. If power drops to the pi so it must reboot without a sudo poweroff, then there is a good chance the reboot will be an HG with missing security module names. Just the way it is.

Yes, as I mentioned this is a “feature” of the code as written. I would log it as a bug personally, but maybe Gene had a reason for it being that way.

I wonder if this is just a Raspi or SD read/write issue.
I have HG running on a mini Linux PC and not noticed this (Yet!) however I have seen it on my Pis. :crazy_face:
Since you now have a PI 4 why not try running from a USB stick or SSD drive?

What a cool idea! I never considered using another source than SD card… As dumb as I am on pi’s, I don’t think learning how to run from other than SD card is in my future!

I don’t think it is that hard to do depending on how new your pi 4 is it may already be capable of booting and running from USB. Simply write the newest Pi OS image to a USB stick and try to boot the Pi with out the SD card inplace. if it won’t boot then it may be a bit of work involved to make it work. It is worth doing a test run.

why not? I’ll try it this afternoon. Guess my USB bootable MAC and Linux sticks won’t work in it? THAT would make it a lot easier!

nope the Raspi OS is different