Current active HG users

Just revisiting this subject two years later now that finally there is an alpha version of Home Genie in production from the original author. He is working on both a .Net Framework and a .Net Core 3 flavour and possibly a welcome addition of a brand new GUI.

If this is of any interest to you it can be downloaded for testing here https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/discussions/436

I’m not sure at this stage what interest remains in Home Genie but if it was possible, if you’re dropping past here for a browse could you indicate if you still use it and if so what platform you use it on. Just a simple one line response would suffice.

As the author has no intention of establishing a forum for his latest offering this is the only tool available exclusively dedicated to Home Genie where you can post your queries, make suggestions for improvements and share your ideas with fellow users.

Once again many thanks to the ongoing efforts of @Bounz for hosting this forum. Opinion would have been dead in the water back in 2017 without him.

Hi! I’m still an active user of HG and actually for me nothing has changed since this post. It’s great that Gene decided to move the project a little further!

UPD: there was an issue with Club server, so this message and Peter’s answer were lost. So, here is a copy of that message:

@Petediscrete:
I remember you mentioned in one post that HG could do with code refactoring in light of the developments in the .Net Core world.

Not sure if you have the time to look at the work Gene has carried out recently but I imagine someone like yourself could provide a serious critical review of it.

Unfortunately not many with the level of technical expertise you possess joined the Alpha testing so it’s quite difficult to get a true technical appraisal of the .Net Core Version.

It’s hard to gauge the level of interest in HG these days particularly as Home Assistant seems to have consumed the home automation market probably down to the fact that it’s actively developed (probably a little too often for some :joy: and of course it’s has a very active community.

I thought that last message finally pushed you over the edge and crashed the server :joy: :joy: :joy:

I thought this was amusing too. http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/indexfe37.html?topic=2271.0

After a suggestion from @David_Wallis four years ago about the interfaces being separated from the MIG it looks like it’s going to happen in Genes latest offering

One more step has been completed. So I am sharing the new preview.

• added setup wizard
  • added new package manager

HG will now start with an empty configuration, no groups, no modules not programs.
It should be still possible to restore a backup file from the old UI, but before doing that, at least the “base” package must be installed from the new UI otherwise default system programs will be missing.

download homegenie 1.4-alpha.6