What is all this web traffic in log?

ok, deleted HA bridge directory. But it still runs if I enter pi address with its port 80… not sure how to turn off that service.

BTW, all those logged entries I show above continue to happen, but they are not real! They do not end up on my network. Wireshark sees none of them, so they are just internal log entries in HG!

Did you stop and disable the HA-Bridge service. Find the name of the service and enter

sudo systemctl stop put the name of the service here

sudo systemctl disable put the name of the service here

As I mentioned earlier ha Bridge uses a helper to setup HG to use with the bridge so I’ve no idea how it configures itself.

It is possible that you have a second instance of Ha Bridge running on your Pi. This is possible if you ever tried to update manually at some stage.

Google the command netstat and use it to discover what ports are in use by what applications. From there you can track down the offender and delete it.

Turns out a reboot of the Pi with the HAbridge directory deleted, stopped the service also, so all good there. Just back to trying to reinstall my security door switches and get email program to accept my smtp data again.

So it is looking more and more like I need to buy some new cheap 2gb SDmicro cards and start over…

Why does this not stop and restart hg:

sudo systemctl stop homegenie
sudo systemctl start homegenie

It appears to stop it as I cannot get it to show up in browser again, but it will never restart! I have to issue ‘sudo reboot’ command and wait forever for it to restart… seems there should be a way to do this quicker…

The correct commands are

sudo systemctl stop homegenie.service
sudo systemctl start homegenie.service

Mike…the best bit of advice I can offer is to take a HG Configuration backup from your system as it is now. Once completed power down the RPI and remove your SD card. You can then get s fresh SD card format it and install a fresh copy of Raspbian Buster and the latest version of HG. You can then restore your HG Configuration backup on the fresh install which ensures any of the old artefacts are not affecting the performance of HG.

Your other SD card is safely put away should you need to revert. I recommend you use at minimum an 8gb sd card but preferably a 16gb card.

I agree with @Petediscrete use at least a 8Gig card. Although I run 16 and 32 gig cards. You want lots of extra space. The OS (lite) is almost 2 gig leaving little room for extras.
If your using anything less then a 4gig card this is why your having issues with writes you could be running out of space.

Thanks. I was trying to find 2gb cards to use! Some latest change I made killed HG on the card so I need to either rebuild from an old image or start anew. Guess if I can remember how to start anew I will go that route. Thanks.

With the price of sd cards continually going down and capacity going up it may be cheeper to get 16 Gig cards any ways. I know here it is very hard to even find 16 Gig cards, 32 and 64 are the standard (low capacity) at most places around here.

I know on price. Reason I wanted 2GB card is size of image file as backups.

I bit bullet and have been working for last 2 hours on trying to get your buster4 image working… getting close. have good boot but still no wifi yet…

got it to wifi; guess I can’t use same hostname as other pi on network that no longer communicates but is connected… it is now downloading updates it looks like. Maybe HG and HAbridge too…

Have both HG and HA running on network on new card…

Question is: use RESTORE on HG last backup or not? I do not want to preload bad email smtp data that I cannot overwrite…

As answered in your previous query. During the HG restore process you choose what you want to restore to your install by checking the appropriate boxes instead of ticking the restore all box.

In relation to you large image file concern, install Pi Shrink on Linux. This will allow you to shrink the image file you create to below 1gb. Nice simple script and easy to install and use https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink

I note you’re using a 3rd party image to create a new HG install so I won’t comment any further as I’m not familiar with what this image contains. Good luck with the install.

Pete, just an FYI for you: All those INFO log lines showing IP addresses on a network and api calls ARE NORMAL. I just built a new unprogrammed fresh Buster 8GB SD card with no programming yet at all other than wifi credentials, and it too is full of those lines. Probably good to know so folks don’t follow in my footsteps and break their good HG system in attempts to make them stop!

I strongly suggest you disable logging if you have it enabled otherwise you will kill your SD card with all those writes. Check you log if you have one enabled to see what size it is now.

Are you sure you have a vanilla install of Raspbian Buster and HG. I noted you said you had HA running too but I wasn’t sure what your were referring to. HA to me would be short for Home Assistant but as I mentioned if you’re using a third party image I’ve no idea what else if anything is running on it.

Ps if you’re happy enough with your setup now let it fly. Remember why you asked the question in the first place though