Module Names disappearing again?

Do you want me to put together a list of simple copy/paste commands to install RaspberryOS and HG.

Ok.Here’s a simplified list to get going from a blank SD card

RaspberryOS install and setup

1.Download a copy of Raspberry Pi OS Lite from this link https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/operating-systems/

1. Extract the Zip file you just downloaded with your favourite zip extractor like 7 Zip or whatever zip extractor you use.

2. You now need to format your SD card using a simple tool called SD Formatter. If you don’t have that tool you can download it from here. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_windows/index.html Full user instructions are included here.

3. You now have a raw image file called 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.img You will now use Win32 Disk Image to copy your raw image file called 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.img to your SD card. If you don’t have Win32 Disk Image you can download here raw image file called 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.img

4. Once you have completed burning the image to your SD card remove it and place it into the SD slot of your Raspberry Pi. Connect an ethernet cable, a monitor and a keyboard to your RPI and power it up. You will be asked to login. Login user name is pi and password is raspberry. Your then asked to supply a new user name and password. You can then configure your system using sudo raspi-config. That allows you to do all the usual things like setting locales, connecting to WiFi and allowing remote access SSH etc. You can also expand the whole SD card for use with your file system.

5. Once Step 5 is complete you will reboot your system. If you have connected successfully to WiFi you will not need your ethernet cable your monitor or keyboards plugged into your RPI. As soon as your RPI restarts you can connect remotely via PuTTY etc.

6. Final step is to run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade and that completes the RPI setup.

HomeGenie install

Just the following copy/paste commands

These add the correct Mono repository

sudo apt install apt-transport-https dirmngr gnupg ca-certificates

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

echo “deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian stable-raspbianbuster main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list

sudo apt update

These will install HomeGenie

wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.3-stable.19/homegenie_1.3-stable.19_all.deb

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gdebi-core

sudo gdebi homegenie_1.3-stable.19_all.deb

If you follow the above exactly you will have successfully installed RaspberryOS and HomeGenie.

Thank you very much for the detailed list.

Just as FYI, MY img burn using win32diskimager took 15 min, not 5.

I copied over to boot partician my blank SSH and wpa file for wifi, stuck in pi, and SAME OL SAME OL! NOTHING.

Partician wizard shows the boot & the Linux particians just fine.

I have not had time to verify yet, but it appears that the v1 pi I have will not accept 16GB cards. I will try to get to that verification later today.

BTW, are you not recommending going with the latest HG? Stable ver 19? That is what I use…

Forget about the copying over the SSH blank file and the wpa supplicant.conf. This can all be done locally if you connect the monitor, an Ethernet cable and keyboard and login locally. All you need to do from the locally attached monitor is sign in as pi and raspberry and at the prompt enter the command

sudo raspi-config

I outlined all this above in my instructions. Do everything locally and once your setup is properly configured then you can reboot and remove the monitor, keyboard and Ethernet cable and you can connect remotely.

Remember what I mentioned above

Follow my instructions EXACTLY as I’ve outlined above.

Just to confirm

1. Burn the extracted raw image file to your SD card
  2. Once complete place the SD card into the SD card slot of the RPI
  3. Attach a monitor, keyboard and Ethernet cable to your RPI and power it up
  4. Follow instructions on screen. Then enter the following command

sudo raspi-config

1. From the blue Configuration screen you can enable SSH and connect to your WiFi.

There’s no need to copy over a blank SSH file or wpa supplicant.conf if you follow this method.

I’ve edited the line to reflect v19 of HG in my installation instructions.

i’VE MADE MANY PI IMAGES ON sd CARDS IN THE PAST. aLL damn cap locks… all 2,4,or 8gb size. I am remaking my slow 8gb card now to use it as no 16gb SD card works in these v1.1 pi’s.

Do you have anything newer than a Raspberry Pi 1.

Anyway I recommend a RPI2b+ or greater for stable operation of HG. You have all the instructions you need now to successfully install RaspberryOS and HG.

You should find that when you finally complete your install and configure HS your HG setup will operate more stable and reliable.

Well, I now have another 4?6? hours into trying to make a new SD card with buster on it…

1 more try writing 1 of 2 16gb cards, they show fine in the partician list, but won’t boot still.

So re-wrote the 8gb card again, this time with win32image program, and like beofere, got a boot to buster. unfortunately it can’t find my wpa file it says, it is not on wifi, but at least raspi config runs. Unfortunately it does not change anything. Any changes I try to make are not saved. It cannot find wpa for wifi settings, it won’t change password, it wont change SSID name. takes it all but ignores it.

guess I will go look for another 8gb card around here to try next. And changing from the working zero w cards will never happen. It is them or nothing.

You won’t find a wpa file. It’s a one run Configuration file that sets up your WiFi. I’ve told you that you don’t need it.

Did you run sudo raspi-config after your RPI booted up to configure your system.

I don’t need to see the one run wpa file, but the pi does… It says it did not see it. Of course I tried to set up the wifi in raspi-config: like I told you, buster will not write anything to my 8gb SD card so that did not work either.

I am trying one last time imaging one of the 16gb cards; this time I formatted it specifically to FAT32 first. I do no t expect any change but to still have unbooting 16gb cards… It is 40% thru writing the 15 minute process…

If this too fails I will try formatting a 32GB card to FAT32 and try writing to it. I just hate to do this huge size as it makes my backup images crazy unnecessarily HUGE! I know, there is a linux program that if you go thru hoops setting up will only write the data; that complex program is not in the cards for me.

When you have the blue Configuration screen open and make changes just navigate with the Tab key to the Save Changes and Exit options.

Yep, of course. No changes happening. last retry of 16gb card after forcing a FAT32 format also does not boot. Now imaging a FAT32 32gb card as test.

Can I confirm what model Raspberry Pi you are using for your install. Only the Pi Zero W and the Raspberry Pi3 or greater have built in WiFi.

Stick with your ethernet connection until you get HG up and running if your board is an older model. You can connect to WiFi later using a wireless usb dongle.

You can of course use your Pi Zero W as you are only connecting one USB device the CM15. In this case you will be able to connect to WiFi using the Raspberry Pi configuration tool by typing sudo raspi-config at the command prompt

This link will show you exactly how and what you can change https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/raspi-config.md

I really do recommend a RPI3b+ for good solid HG operation.

Pete, you may want to update this thread to correct the instructions in the middle. I am using this thread to build my PI 4 and appreciate your patience in this thread explaining things.
I know you modified it to change from version 17 to 19, but I think you missed a statement here. (and is it still called beta if it was released?:

These will install HomeGenie

wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.3-beta.17/homegenie_1.3-beta.17_all.deb

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gdebi-core

sudo gdebi homegenie_1.3-beta.19_all.deb

If you follow the above exactly you will have successfully installed RaspberryOS and HomeGenie.

Correct, should be:

wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.3-stable.19/homegenie_1.3-stable.19_all.deb

v1.3 stable.19 is no longer a beta.

Also note that using the 8-20-2020 build of Buster means the sudo upgrade command after install will take a couple hours to complete (my download speed for it was avg 2mB/s). I began this statement about 10am and it is close but not yet done.

And it loads the full Buster complete with desktop instead of the smaller lite version.

My pi zero w refused to use any 16gb SD cards; I eventually used a 32GB card and it worked.

Mike, I don’t know what your network setup is, but something is definitely wrong with those speeds your downloading/updating with. I did mine multiple times last night and this morning on a 32gb card and a 16gb card and it took only minutes like Pete suggested it should. You are definitely suffering from some performance issue. I do have the RBPI-4 so that may explain some of the speed, but not like your dealing with!

Question, the HG documents say after install the program should be found at /home/homegenie. However, that is not the case on Linux after this install. Do you know where the executables get stored? I did the HG install logged on as PI. Should I log in as Homegenie to see the code? Not sure what the password is on that account assuming it was generated during the installation…

Just pulled it from the homegenie.it source. The maintainer will need to update the source. My aim here was to point to the source for a HG install but at least I know someone was reading my efforts :+1: