Can't get HA-Bridge to start on simple RPI-4 boot?

I’m not sure what you are comparing what to or what context you are quoting from.

If you research back you will see that the HG installer broke when Raspbian Buster was introduced.I managed to create a list of simple commands that safely removed the offending dependencies. This in turn required the user to create a Homeseer service, the one you are now referring to as one was not automatically created.

That continued for about a year until the author revisited HG and corrected his package installer. That in turn allowed the installer to continue to execute until the startup script was created.

If you install HG via the manual install instructions an auto start script is not created.

We are where we are now and the gdeb package installer works fine so my workaround is no longer an issue.

I’m assuming you now have a handle on your dilemma with which service is grabbing port 80 first.

Pete, It may be difficult for you to see this entire process from my perspective as a noob to the entire HG/HA project, let alone Alexa. I have tried to find the latest threads on everything to install the latest and greatest available. I think I have done that. Using all the installers described I ended up with NO homegenie.service that was easily detected/found.
When you suggested the timing delay and to update the homegenie.service, I went looking and was totally shocked to not be able to locate it.
This led to the rabbit hole I just described above. I’ve been at this for hours because I could not find anything that clearly described the same situation I was finding.

The startup script you describe is not the homegenie.service script that people use systemctl to start/stop homegenie with, at least not directly.

FYI if you deleted your homegenie.service file and let the OS generate it’s own homegenie.service file, it creates one that does a fork among other options. This is not how you likely run your homegenie and not something I’ve seen mentioned much as a standard option to set for a simple install like mine.

This is what is auto-generated and many probably start/stop their Homegenie with for the past few years…

Automatically generated by systemd-sysv-generator

[Unit]
Documentation=man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
SourcePath=/etc/init.d/homegenie
Description=LSB: Run HomeGenie
Before=multi-user.target
Before=multi-user.target
Before=multi-user.target
Before=graphical.target
After=all.target

[Service]
Type=forking
Restart=no
TimeoutSec=5min
IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
KillMode=process
GuessMainPID=no
RemainAfterExit=yes
SuccessExitStatus=5 6
ExecStart=/etc/init.d/homegenie start
ExecStop=/etc/init.d/homegenie stop

To paraphrase from the link I sent you…

Here are the main differences between the two. SystemV is older, and goes all the way back to original Unix. SystemD is the new system that many distros are moving to. SystemD was designed to provide faster booting, better dependency management, and much more.Dec 5, 2019

HG started out with the SystemV system and as far as I’m aware a symbolic link to Systemd is created along the lines of this link https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/194175/can-i-use-a-symbolic-link-as-a-service-of-systemd

If you want to start a fresh post with all your findings you should do so. I’m assuming you have resolved your initial issue or a well capable of doing so.

If you are not happy with aspects of how HG installs or operates open an issue on the author’s GitHub

It’s been a long day and time for family now